The Georgia Aquarium
The Georgia Aquarium in downtown Atlanta is the world’s third largest indoor aquarium, with 100,000 fish in eight million gallons of water. PGAV Destinations was proud to serve as the exhibit, graphic, and interior designer for this world-renowned destination, as well as creative director for its media.
The aquarium is organized into five thematic zones, each with its own unique storyline and exhibition style. Penguins, sea otters, a kelp forest with garibaldi, sea lions, and beluga whales star in Coldwater Quest. Georgia Explorer tells the story of the Georgia coast, the Northern right whale, and the sea turtle, and offers an exhibit where guests can feed shrimp by hand. River Camp takes guests below a fresh water river and into exotic lands. Crashing waves activate a living reef in Tropical Diver.
Ocean Voyager places guests under six million gallons of water and 50,000 fishes. Ocean Voyager includes the third largest viewing window in the world at 25 feet high and 65 feet long. A 20-foot interactive touch wall lets guests touch virtual fish as they swim past. This is the only aquarium in the western hemisphere where guests can view live whale sharks.
Awards and Achievements
- Best North American Aquarium, USA Today 10Best Readers’ Choice Travel Awards (2014)
- Number Two Aquarium in America, TripAdvisor (2014)
- Number Three Aquarium in the World, TripAdvisor (2014)
- Best Aquarium, Thea Awards (2007)
- Outstanding Achievement in Aquariums, Thea Awards (2006)
- Guinness Book of World Records: World’s Largest Aquarium (2006)